John Sawoski Conducts Judy Whitmore and Billy Grubman Singing The Great American Songbook
Revisit the “Big-Band” era when Judy Whitmore and Billy Grubman return to the Samueli stage on Saturday, October 15, 2022, with a newly-curated collection of great American standards. Along with their 15-piece band, conducted by John Sawoski, these two recording artists perform the best of George Gershwin, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, and Henry Mancini.
The duo’s warmly-nuanced vocal style enlivens their interpretations of each song, and along with their lavishly textured musical arrangements, creates an unforgettable evening. This unstoppable brother-sister team has performed from California to New York, including Carnegie Hall. Judy and Billy’s profound love for this music endlessly inspires their performances.
Arrangements and Orchestrations by John Sawoski and Michael Patterson.
- Alto sax/flute: Jay Mason
- Tenor sax/clarinet: Will Vargas
- Tenor sax: Dan Kaneyuki
- Bari sax/bass clarinet: Ken Fisher
- Trumpet/flugelhorn 1: Chris Eble
- Trumpet/flugelhorn 2: Tim Rubottom
- Trombone: Charlie Morillas
- Bass Trombone: Wendell Kelly
- Concertmaster: Elizabeth Johnson
- Violin 2: Robert Schumitzky
- Viola: Colleen Sugata
- Cello: Erin Breene
- Bass: Tim Christensen
- Drums: Albie Berk
- Piano/Conductor: John Sawoski
Tickets and info: https://scfta.org/events/2022/judy-whitmore-and-billy-grubman